Sunday, April 13, 2014

Holy crap this is not a kids movie! (Grave of the Fireflies review)

Movies can be deceiving, you may start watching a movie about a bunny rabbits and then crap like this happens:


Big Wig, Get up!

This is why you should always read the back of the box.


I was in no way deceived by Grave of the Fireflies, I can see why some people would be. Despite it's anime exterior it isn't really "Kid friendly."


The Story:

It's a few days before the Americans occupy Japan near the end of WWII. A boy named Seita lies against a column in a train station and dies.


Flash back to a few months before; when fire bombs destroy the city of Kobe, leaving Seita and his younger sister Setsuko homeless.


With their mother dead and their father out at war, Seita and Setsuko must live with their judgmental aunt. After a while Seita and Setsuko decide to leave their aunts home, and live out in the country. But food rations become scarce, and no one wishes to help them. Unfortunately starvation, and malnutrition leads to Setsuko's death. With no one else left in the world, Seita gives up on life, and dies.



The Movie:

From the very beginning of the movie, you know it ends badly. The first few minutes are of Seita starving to death. It's really weird, because you know they are going to die even from the very beginning, but you still don't want to except it.


So I guess I should tell you that the movie is really depressing, even though it's pretty clear from the subject matter alone. I tip my hat to the excellent performances, as well to Isao Takahata who directed the film. Sir I am now a fan.


There isn't that much to dislike about this movie. Sure you could say that its anti-america but that wouldn't be true. We never see the americans except for the planes, and they never really talk about them being terrible monsters either. I would say that this film is more anti-war than anything else, and you know what; I like it. I like the subject matter of the movie, it pulls you in and makes you cry by the end. Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that I like kids starving and dying. I'm saying I find it compelling and my heart goes out to the characters.



I don't really have any complaints about the movie, but here are some things to think about. The aunt in this movie, I hate the living crap out of this person. She starts out seeming like a kind, nice, loving woman. That all is thrown in the garbage when she starts complaining to Seita, and telling him he should get work, or get his own food. She doesn't seem to get that they are practically orphans, and that you need to be able to have fun during the hard times to remember what, and who you really are. So yeah I really hate her.


Other than that the only thing I can say is that it feels a bit like two different movies. Let me explain; One minute your watching this really depressing war film with starving children,


and the next thing you now you're watching this happy peaceful movie about a brother and sister.


Now this isn't a bad thing, in fact I feel like the movie is better for it. If there wasn't happy parts, then it would just be terrible thing after terrible thing. I just think maybe it could have been paced a little better.


Music and Presentation:

The movie is animated by Studio Ghibli, and if you know me you know how big a fan I am of them. The movie looks great, its got that anime style, and the painted backgrounds, overall its awesome.




The music is kinda weird. It did do a good job of conveying the sadness of the movie, but I guess I'm just not really a big fan of it.

The Verdict and Final thoughts:

I think this movie is great. Its nice to every once and a while to watch something that doesn't have a happy ending. It looks great, the voice acting is great, the story is great. It's such a great movie! But I can also see people not liking it because it really is dark. And this is definitely not a movie to show to little kids. With all this in mind I'm giving Grave of the Fireflies 8 out of 10 stars. It is an "Awesome" movie!

Try to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment